Cribbage
Forum
LIVE
Play FREE or win CA$H Prizes!
Main Forum
Ladder too weighted toward the end of the month

Ladder too weighted toward the end of the month
Posted by CribsterCO (VIP) Apr 5 2022 4:15PM

I love the concept of the ladder and I think it generates good healthy competition. However, I do NOT like that it is VERY heavily weighted toward the end of the month. A player could not play at all during the month and start play on the 27th and play in all the tournaments and probably very easily finish 1. The American Cribbage Congress has a national champion but it is determined over the course of a year with ALL sanctioned tournaments earning points regardless of when during the year you play.

So what is your suggestion?
Posted by Pearle (moderator) Apr 5 2022 4:23PM

Do you have any ideas how to make it more fairly done on a monthly basis? Any suggestions or recommendations? I, for one, do not play for ladder, but any input would be welcomed, I'm sure. Thanks for your post!

What if?
Posted by 221bBakerSt (VIP) Apr 7 2022 8:49PM

What if you broke it into two? Half goes to the leader on the 15th and half to the leader on the last day? Just a thought.

Ladder weighted
Posted by Philo78 (VIP) Apr 18 2022 6:04PM

I think the problem is ladder movement. If I’m #100 and I beat #1 I move up to #50 with a win, A+B/2. Repeat that a few times and I’m in the top 10 in a few games. But what if you only took a fraction ? For example A+B/2*10% or .1. In this example I would move up 5 rungs instead of 50. As ladder rankings get closer if the lower ranking beats the beats the higher ranking they at least go up 1 rung as a fraction could round down to 0. Perhaps easy to say and harder to implement.

Just Brainstorming…
Posted by KyllerB (VIP) Apr 20 2022 4:14PM

I think there should 2 Ladders every month, one for blues and another for non-blues (they get recognized by GC or maybe they want free tix and become a blue???). Clearly non-ticket holders don’t spend money at GC and therefore don’t play in the tourneys which is essential to crack the top 10. My suggestion is to have a minimum ladder games played to qualify for the month. If your in the top 10 but didn’t play enough, your player name is grayed out or NQ status.

Philo's point
Posted by 221bBakerSt (VIP) Apr 23 2022 11:55PM

Philo the only real problem with your solution is that then the #1 player(s), will sit on their laurels towards the end of the month instead of playing. There is no incentive to play to remain #1. If you read my well-thought-out post in the backgammon forum, it was a rebuttal to an argument made by another player to even further reward a #1 ladder holder. In your example above, if I play #2 from the #10 spot, I'll only move 1 or two rungs? This disincentivizes the top players to play at the end of the month, where they can sit comfortably atop the ladder without truly being threatened. Do you really want Babyblues26 and CribsterCO winning every ladder without even having to play the last few days? Nah, Cribster's argument from the start here is flawed, as someone 'could' do what he says, but that rarely happens. Especially with the regular sharks in the water at the EOM.

Rare?
Posted by Philo78 (VIP) Apr 27 2022 3:13AM

I think his argument was directed at me because I just did exactly that last month. To me it was exciting as the last couple days had a lot of action as almost all in the top 10 were participating. It came down to the very last tourney to decide the ladder winner. But I believe cribster is looking for credit for the many tournies and ladder movements in the first 28 days of the month. Maybe somewhere in the middle then like multiply the rung advancement by .3-.5? That would afford the lower rung players to advance, but not so quickly. BTW I don't even try to win ladder if I know I'm not going to be available the last and then first day of the month.

Again
Posted by 221bBakerSt (VIP) Apr 28 2022 7:17PM

I think the simplest solution would be to split it in two. If he was talking about you, then great for you, that's what the ladder was designed for. I've also seen Cribster with over 60 extra ladder points sitting atop the ladder at the end of the month, so I still believe that slowing the ladder process down during a certain period as you suggest disenfranchises those who want to play and move up the ladder. If I want a shot at #1, and you slow the progression of my ladder movement, how motivated am I when I have to win twice as many or even three times as many tournaments as I did a few days ago? As I said, the top players will disappear on the last few days, because nobody is going to win 30 tourneys in a few days. As you said in your post above, "It was exciting...lots of action...all of the top 10 were participating." THAT is EXACTLY why it should be left alone. You start putting on the brakes slowing down the progression, then why would I bother playing if I am at the #20 spot, or even #10? I showed in my backgammon post how you can be #10 and in one tournament, be #1. If you take that opportunity away, you just further entrench your top 5 and you just move the frenzy to the day(s) just prior to the throttling instead of the last day where it has always been.

Laurels
Posted by CribsterCO (VIP) May 23 2022 12:28PM

I have NEVER intentionally sat on my laurels at the end of the month. I don't even really understand how the ladder works other than I know it is heavily weighted toward the last tournament played and last game played. Assuming I (or anyone) was way ahead at the end of the month then so be it. I believe that would be similar to the Patriots being 14-0 and then resting their starters for the last 3 games and losing them all and still winning their division and having a #1 seed. In the ACC, if Erik Locke is ahead by 500 points going in to the last weekend and the most anyone can win is 400 points and he chooses not to play, he should still be national champion. My main point was from a business model for GC that if more players played at the beginning and middle of the month that would be better for GC. Not this mad rush at the end of the month.

GC Store